Friday, August 8, 2014

An Update on the Sofa Project

I have to say that I have learned a lot about furniture restoration and it is probably not the career that I want to pursue.  As I think about it this is actually my second sofa project; last year, I took our old sofa and recovered it for my daughter to take to college.  It was a completely different type of restoration from staining a leather sofa, but still not one I want repeat. Just like the current project, I'm glad I did it, but once was enough.

My leather sofa is coming along much slower than I anticipated.  I always seem to have a much more optimistic outlook on projects than I should.  Yesterday I worked on the sofa for about 4 hours.  These were the most challenging hours I have spent on the project.  I had to stain the back cushions, which are not removable, and to get to all the seams and crevices in the cushions took major maneuvering, but I did it.  Only half of a cushion to go!  Only one problem, I think I had almost as much stain on me as the sofa!  When my daughter walked in the house that evening the first words out of her mouth were "What happened to you!"  I did seem to have nice brown spots all over my arms and legs and somehow even managed to get a nice spot on my face.  Everyone who has seen it has positive comments, so that is good.  I even have a friend who said together we might tackle her sofas too.  The only one who is a little apprehensive is my dog.  She normally spends her mornings perched on the back of the sofa like a cat watching the birds and squirrels outside and I have definitely disrupted her routine.  She keeps looking at it, but won't get near it.  I guess she doesn't like the new color.

Today was a different day.  I got up and scrubbed all the stain from my limbs to look presentable because I had a job interview.   As it turns out, I wish I had not bothered because it was more discouraging than ever.  A business associate of my husbands had said that he was looking for an inside sales engineer.  My husband asked him if he minded if I sent him my resume.  He called me and asked me to come for an interview.  I guess that he thought he was doing my husband a favor by being nice to me, I'm not really sure.  I got to the interview and we talked for about 10 minutes about his job, what he was looking for, and my qualifications when all of the sudden he stopped and told me that he need to be truly honest with me; he said he really had no openings and had done all of his hiring prior to talking with me.  He spent the next 40 minutes telling me what a nice person I was and that the right thing will come along.  I tried to stay engaged in the conversation and listen to stories about his family and his suggestions on where I should try to look for a job, but the whole time I just keep wondering why he would waste his time and mine.  I really wish he hadn't even bothered, but I guess it might have made him feel like he was doing something good so at least one of us got some benefit from it. 

Oh well, at least the weekend is here and we have some nice things planned.  We are going to visit the Perot museum and do some more crafting.  There are only a few weeks left before Anna goes back to school and we want to enjoy our time with her.  Next week I will finish the sofa projects and have some other career ideas to pursue.


No comments:

Post a Comment